Economic Development

Process of establishing a New Business in the Town of Haw River

A business that opens with in the Town Limits of Haw River is required to obtain:

  • An employer identification number from the Internal Revenue Service.
  • A fire inspection from the Town of Haw River Fire Inspector 336-578-1355.
  • Zoning Compliance Permit from the Haw River Town Manager.

Zoning Compliance Permit

The Haw River Town Manager issues Zoning Compliance Permits (ZCPs) for activities that are regulated under the Haw River Zoning Ordinance on property in the town limits and in the extraterritorial jurisdiction. In some cases, a building permit may also be required. Building permits and inspections are handled by the Alamance County Building Inspections Department.

A Zoning Compliance Permit is issued for:

  • Site changes, such as relocating or expanding an existing structure, or constructing a new building, accessory building, deck or fence.
  • Installing new signs or changing the location, sign face, or message of an existing sign.
  • Changes of use, such as moving a business into an existing non-residential retail or office space.
  • Operating a business out of your personal residence.
  • Temporary and event signs, including sandwich boards and banners.

Development Processes


The division of property for development is governed by the Haw River Zoning Ordinance and applies to residential and nonresidential properties. The subdivision review process is determined by the number of proposed lots and may be reviewed by staff, the Board of Adjustment, Planning Board or Town Council. Review by a board involves a public hearing and notice to nearby property owners. Subdivisions generally are reviewed in two phases. First the preliminary plan is reviewed by the required board. If approved, this authorizes the development of infrastructure and roads. Once these improvements are in place or guaranteed with a bond, staff can approve the final plat, which creates the lots and makes them available for sale and development.

 Special Use Permit

A Special Use Permit is required for development within special-use districts (a district with no uses permitted by right) and for certain uses with unique or far-reaching consequences. Special Use Permits are reviewed by the Planning Board and Town Council as needed with a public hearing. The permits often are filed for projects seeking annexation and initial zoning. A Special Use Permit filed in conjunction with a rezoning request to a special use district allows the town to apply development conditions, and to understand the specific development being considered. This is a quasi-judicial review process.


All property within the town’s jurisdiction is assigned to a particular zoning district. Most districts have a list of uses that are permitted “by right” (without review). Property owners may petition the town to have their property assigned to a different zoning district. This process is not quasi-judicial. Applications are reviewed by the Planning Board and Town Council as needed with a public hearing. The town cannot apply conditions to rezonings in general purpose (non-special use) districts. The board/council must consider all of the permitted uses in the district and their desirability for the site requesting rezoning.


Annexation is the process by which the town expands its boundaries. Property owners can petition for annexation through the voluntary annexation process. The town analyzes the fiscal impact of potential annexations, as well as potential water use, before the Town Council votes. Annexations require a public hearing, and often are paired with the review of a development proposal on the property. The town also has the option to pursue involuntary annexation of areas that meet criteria established in state law. This process can take 18 months or longer. The town has used this option sparingly.

Site Plan Review

Site plan reviews are conducted by staff, or by staff committee for larger nonresidential buildings. Information is submitted detailing the building, parking, utilities, lighting and landscaping, as well as how stormwater will be controlled, how solid waste will be removed and how fire protection service will be provided. Staff does not have the authority to approve plans that do not comply with ordinance requirements. Plans needing special consideration must be reviewed by the Board of Adjustment.

Public Hearing Participation

Most development activities are subject to public notice and public hearings. For items requiring public hearings, property owners that adjoin the subject property will receive a written notice of the hearing. This allows the affected neighbors to have the opportunity to provide comments to the boards.

Quasi-judicial proceedings require the deciding board to make findings of fact based on the application and testimony at the public hearing. Speakers at quasi-judicial hearings must be sworn in, and are subject to cross-examination. Testimony at quasi-judicial hearings must be factual rather than anecdotal or subjective. Written comments, while accepted into the record, cannot be considered sworn testimony.

General purpose hearings for non-special use rezonings, annexations and other matters do not require speakers to be sworn in, or to provide objective testimony. Written comments also are accepted for general purpose hearings.


Business Links

Helpful links for Town of Haw River Business owners and Entrepreneurs.

Represents the interests of the business community in matters that affect the ability of local businesses to prosper and grow, and the ability of Alamance County to attract new business.

Alamance County is the centerpiece of this Carolina Corridor, where the full resources of the region come together to create exceptional opportunities for expanding and relocating companies.

Provides a wide range of workers training programs for new and existing businesses, plus links to business assistance resources and networks.

Provides a wide range of services and financial assistance to help businesses locate, grow and expand in North Carolina.

Helps businesses negotiate the state’s licensing requirements by working with them to identify and obtain required licenses, permits and regulatory approvals.

Provides knowledge and networks for entrepreneurs in a wide range industries and at all stages of development, from high-tech product based organizations to professional service firms, from one-person start-ups to 1000-person businesses.

A community development organization that provides training, consulting and coaching to equip people, entrepreneurs and organizations with business knowledge and skills.

The Piedmont Triad Regional Council of Governments is a lender of last resort to help small businesses start, grow and expand to help create jobs in the Piedmont Triad Region.

A partnership program of the N.C. Institute of Minority Economic Development and the U. S. Minority Business Development Agency, provides technical and financial assistance to existing and emerging minority business across the state.

A business development organization that seeks to leverage military and other federal business opportunities including contracts, employment and recruitment of defense-related businesses.

A statewide, university-affiliated organization partnering with N.C. industry as a catalyst for the transfer of knowledge and technology.

Promotes growth of the state’s biotechnology industry through research, business assistance, worker training and public education.

Operates a multi-faceted program that includes conducting research into rural issues; advocating for policy and program innovations; and building the productive capacity of rural leaders, entrepreneurs and community organizations.

Provides management counseling and educational services to small and mid-sized businesses throughout North Carolina from 17 offices across the state, each affiliated with a college or university.

Provides information on rural development programs, such as business/corporation development, rural utilities, community facilities and housing.

Provides information on small business services and programs as well as contact information.


"This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer." If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9922 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at