TITLE V: PUBLIC WORKS
Chapter 54: Heavy Trash/ Brush (yard waste) Collections Policy
54.02 Yard Waste Collection
54.03 Bulk/Heavy Trash Collection
54.04 Large Appliance (white goods) Collection
54.05 Items not for Collection
54.99 Solid Waste fees:
The purpose of this chapter is to promote, protect, and preserve the health, safety and general welfare of the citizens of the Town of Haw River and to provide safe and sanitary disposal of municipal solid waste in such a manner as to protect the environment and preserve our natural resources.
- 54.02- Yard Waste Collection
- a) Yard waste collection shall be provided only to residential units served by the automated collection system. Yard waste collection shall be provided on Mondays with overflow pickup on consecutive business days as time permits.
- b) The Town will pick up limbs from April 1st thru September 30th of each year. During this time burning is prohibited. From October 1st to March 31st you are allowed to burn these materials. The Town picks up leaves and yard trimmings year round if bagged. See Town fee schedule for associated charges.
- c) Yard waste shall be separated from all other refuse prior to collection. Collection forces shall collect yard waste that is customarily and reasonably associated with the residential units(s) served, as long as it is properly prepared and in compliance with the following regulations:
1) Grass clippings, small shrubbery clippings, leaves, and other small lawn debris shall be collected at the curbside provided that they are placed in clear plastic bags for collection. Such bags shall be clear or transparent, in good condition and of such size and weight that when full, do not weigh more than fifty (50) pounds each and are such that one (1) individual can easily pick up each bag, one (1) at a time, for disposal. Plastic bags shall be secured at the top when placed at the curbside for collection.
2) Tree limbs, cuttings, shrubbery and similar materials must be cut in lengths not to exceed six (6) feet in length and placed in neatly stacked piles where accessible by collection truck at the curb.
3) All items for pick-up shall be placed to the curb by 7:00 am on the collection day to ensure pick-up
4) No tree trimmings will be hauled from commercial tree contractors, paid or arranged cuttings.
5) No stumps, logs, dirt, rocks, tires on wheels or concrete will be hauled by the collection forces.
6) No building materials or refuse from commercial building operations or landscape work will be hauled by collection forces.
7) Town collection forces shall not provide service if denied reasonable access by parked vehicles, equipment, fixed objects, low hanging wires or other obstructions.
- 54.03- Bulk/Heavy Trash Collection
- a) Bulk/Heavy trash collection shall be provided only to residential units served by the Town.
- b) The Town will pick up Bulk/Heavy trash items not accepted by the trash vendor on the First Tuesday of each month. See Town fee schedule for associated charges.
1) Bulk/Heavy trash shall be placed to the curb by 7:00 am on the collection day to ensure pick-up, and no more than two (2) calendar days in advance of pick-up.
2) Bulk/Heavy trash must be separated from all other refuse prior to collection.
3) Bulk/Heavy trash that is too large to be placed in the collection vehicle will not be collected by collection forces.
4) All glass in mirrors or other items with large expanses of glass must have the glass taped with an “X” mark so it will not shatter in the collection process.
5) Gasoline must be removed from all lawn equipment prior to collection.
6) Carpet and padding shall be collected provided the carpeting is rolled and tied in sections no longer the five (5) feet.
7) Building materials, Contractor Waste, Masonry, Tires on Wheels, Batteries, Hazardous Waste, TVs, Computers, Electronics, Home Improvement, Liquids, Auto Parts, Concrete, Paint, Sealed Containers, or Riding Lawnmowers shall not be collected by collection forces.
- c) The Town or its designee shall have the authority to require items to be prepared for the ease of collection and to ensure the safety of the employees performing the collection task. Any item not prepared properly may be refused for collection at the Town or its designee’s discretion.
1) Town collection forces shall not provide service if denied reasonable access by parked vehicles, equipment, fixed objects, low hanging wires or other obstructions.
- 54.04- Large Appliance (white goods) Collection
- a) Large appliances (white goods) shall be collected only from residential units served by the automated collection system. Collection is subject to the following conditions:
1) Large appliances shall be collected on the same day as Bulk/Heavy trash: The First Tuesday of each month.
2) Appliances shall be placed to the curb by 7:00 am on the collection day, and no more than two (2) calendar days in advance of pick-up, from the unit which the appliance was removed.
3) Appliances shall be emptied of the contents.
4) Refrigerator and freezer doors must be removed or secured to prevent entry by small children.
5) Appliances shall not be collected from any residential unit engaged in the repair or resale of appliances.
6) Town collection forces shall not provide service if denied reasonable access by parked vehicles, equipment, fixed objects, low hanging wires or other obstructions.
- 54.05- Items not for Collection
- a) Below is a list of items not collected by the Town:
1) Building Materials, Home Improvement, Landscape Timbers, Contractor Waste, Masonry, Tires, Tires on Wheels, Liquids, Paint, Batteries, Auto Parts, Sealed Containers, Hazardous Waste, Concrete, Riding Lawnmowers, TVs, Computers, Electronics, Logs, Stumps, Rock, Dirt, and Contracted tree or landscape work debris.
2) The Town shall not pick up Bulk/Heavy trash from renters who have moved out of rental property. The removal of rental clean-up is the responsibility of the property owner.
- b) Disposal of these items is the sole responsibility of the property owner or occupant.
Bulk/Heavy Trash and Limbs are collected mechanically by a truck that has a knuckle boom arm with a clam shell. The clam shell holds 3 cubic yards per bite. The cost of collection is determined as follows:
1 bite No Charge