Water Bill Policy
Water bills are sent out monthly on the last working day of each month. All bills must be paid in full by the 15th of the month. If not paid on or before the 15th, there will be an additional $5.00 late charge added to the amount due. If the 15th falls on a weekend or holiday, the payment must be in our dropbox located inside the first side door of the building by 8a.m. the next business day. If not paid in full by the 27th of the month water will be disconnected on the 28th at 8:00 a.m. and an additional $20.00 reconnect fee will be added. If the 28th falls on a Friday, weekend, or holiday the disconnection will be on the next business day. The entire amount must be paid before water service will be reconnected.
Any customer who questions or disputes his bill or the amount of the charges may request a hearing with the Town Manager to resolve the dispute.
The request for the hearing must be made no later than the 15th day of the month on which the bill is dated.
The Town Manager is authorized to hear all disputes and contested matters and to represent the Town of Haw River in resolving the disputed and contested charges.
Any customer may appeal the decision of the Town Manager to the Town Council of the Town of Haw River at its next scheduled meeting and a decision of a majority of the Town Council at the meeting will be final.
Please have all items at curbside by 6:00 a.m. on the day of pickup.
Garbage Pickup – Tuesdays –The town furnishes a container, if you do not have one please call the Municipal Building.
Recyclables – Every other Tuesday – A bin is provided, if you do not have one you may pick one up at the Municipal Building. Schedules are also available at the Municipal Building.
Heavy Trash – 1st Tuesday of each month
- a) Bulk/Heavy trash collection shall be provided only to residential units served by the Town.
- b) The Town will pick up Bulk/Heavy trash items not accepted by the trash vendor on the First Tuesday of each month. See Town FEE SCHEDULE for associated charges which is attached to this document.
1) Bulk/Heavy trash shall be placed to the curb by 7:00 am on the collection day to ensure pick-up, and no more than two (2) calendar days in advance of pick-up.
2) Bulk/Heavy trash must be separated from all other refuse prior to collection.
3) Bulk/Heavy trash that is too large to be placed in the collection vehicle will not be collected by collection forces.
4) All glass in mirrors or other items with large expanses of glass must have the glass taped with an “X” mark so it will not shatter in the collection process.
5) Gasoline must be removed from all lawn equipment prior to collection.
6) Carpet and padding shall be collected provided the carpeting is rolled and tied in sections no longer the five (5) feet.
7) Building materials, Contractor Waste, Masonry, Tires on Wheels, Batteries, Hazardous Waste, TVs, Computers, Electronics, Home Improvement, Liquids, Auto Parts, Concrete, Paint, Sealed Containers, or Riding Lawnmowers shall not be collected by collection forces.
- c) The Town or its designee shall have the authority to require items to be prepared for the ease of collection and to ensure the safety of the employees performing the collection task. Any item not prepared properly may be refused for collection at the Town or its designee’s discretion.
1) Town collection forces shall not provide service if denied reasonable access by parked vehicles, equipment, fixed objects, low hanging wires or other obstructions.
LARGE APPLIANCE (white goods) COLLECTION
- a) Large appliances (white goods) shall be collected only from residential units served by the automated collection system. Collection is subject to the following conditions:
1) Large appliances shall be collected on the same day as Bulk/Heavy trash: The First Tuesday of each month.
2) Appliances shall be placed to the curb by 7:00 am on the collection day, and no more than two (2) calendar days in advance of pick-up, from the unit which the appliance was removed.
3) Appliances shall be emptied of the contents.
4) Refrigerator and freezer doors must be removed or secured to prevent entry by small children.
5) Appliances shall not be collected from any residential unit engaged in the repair or resale of appliances.
6) Town collection forces shall not provide service if denied reasonable access by parked vehicles, equipment, fixed objects, low hanging wires or other obstructions.
- Building Materials
- Home Improvement
- Landscape Timbers
- Contractor Waste
- Auto Parts
- Sealed Containers
- Hazardous Waste
- TV, Computers & Electronics
Disposal of these items is the sole responsibility of the property owner or occupant. Your prompt attention to this matter would be greatly appreciated. For assistance with disposing the above items contact the Alamance County Landfill at 336-376-8902.
Brush / Yard Waste–
- a) Yard waste collection shall be provided only to residential units served by the automated collection system. Yard waste collection shall be provided on Mondays with overflow pickup on consecutive business days as time permits.
- b) The Town will pick up limbs from April 1st thru September 30th of each year. During this time burning is prohibited. From October 1st to March 31st you are allowed to burn these materials. The Town picks up leaves and yard trimmings year round if bagged. See Town fee schedule for associated charges.
- c) Yard waste shall be separated from all other refuse prior to collection. Collection forces shall collect yard waste that is customarily and reasonably associated with the residential units(s) served, as long as it is properly prepared and in compliance with the following regulations:
1) Grass clippings, small shrubbery clippings, leaves, and other small lawn debris shall be collected at the curbside provided that they are placed in clear plastic bags for collection. Such bags shall be clear or transparent, in good condition and of such size and weight that when full, do not weigh more than fifty (50) pounds each and are such that one (1) individual can easily pick up each bag, one (1) at a time, for disposal. Plastic bags shall be secured at the top when placed at the curbside for collection.
2) Tree limbs, cuttings, shrubbery and similar materials must be cut in lengths not to exceed six (6) feet in length and placed in neatly stacked piles where accessible by collection truck at the curb.
3) All items for pick-up shall be placed to the curb by 7:00 am on the collection day to ensure pick-up
4) No tree trimmings will be hauled from commercial tree contractors, paid or arranged cuttings.
5) No stumps, logs, dirt, rocks, tires on wheels or concrete will be hauled by the collection forces.
6) No building materials or refuse from commercial building operations or landscape work will be hauled by collection forces.
7) Town collection forces shall not provide service if denied reasonable access by parked vehicles, equipment, fixed objects, low hanging wires or other obstructions.
Disposal of the above items is the sole responsibility of the property owner or occupant. Your prompt attention to this matter would be greatly appreciated. For assistance with disposing the above items contact the Alamance County Landfill at 336-376-8902.
Solid Waste fees:
Bulk/Heavy Trash and Limbs are collected mechanically by a truck that has a knuckle boom arm with a clam shell. The clam shell holds 3 cubic yards per bite. The cost of collection is determined as follows:
1 bite No Charge
2 bites $13.50 minimum
3 bites $20.25
4 bites $27.00
5 bites $33.75
6 bites $40.50
7 bites $47.25
8 bites $54.00
9 bites $60.75
10 bites $67.50
Additional bites $6.75 per bite
Off Cycle Heavy Trash pick-up will incur a 20.00 upcharge.
Charges will be added to your utility bill.
TOWN OF HAW RIVER
PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT
THIS INSTITUTION IS AN EQUAL OPORTUNITY PROVIDER AND EMPLOYER.