Go Back

Do you smell Chlorine in your water? Please Read!

December 15 2023

Dear Haw River Water Customer,

As you are aware, the City of Burlington (who sells water to the Town of Haw River) converted to CHLORAMINE as the secondary disinfectant in the water distribution system in July of 2011.

As part of the routine maintenance activities for systems using chloramines, systems are encouraged to convert to free chlorine occasionally to help maintain the water quality in their distribution systems.

The City of Burlington, in cooperation with the other water treatment systems that are interconnected with the City of Burlington, will be conducting this system maintenance beginning on December 3, 2023, and will begin the transition back to chloramines beginning on April 18, 2024.

Although we do not require our customers to flush their plumbing systems, we do encourage them to take advantage of this time to flush areas in their systems that are known, or suspected low water use areas and areas that may be stagnant.

We would like to remind our customers that we have performed this procedure multiple times since 2011 and customers are generally unaware that any changes are taking place. We simply want to provide this reminder for those customers that provide specialized treatment to their water before they use it in their critical applications.

Please contact the City of Burlington Water Resources Department at 336-222-5132 or 336-222-5133 if you have any questions about this procedure.


Town of Haw River


"This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer." If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint.filing.cust.html, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9922 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at program.intake@usda.gov.